Saturday, January 14, 2012

Diaper Cake



My gift to the couple for the baby shower was a diaper cake.  I had a lot of fun making this and wanted to share it.  Here is what I used for my diaper cake:
  • Around 80 diapers, depends on how many goodies you stuff in the cake
    • Also, a baby wont wear newborns for very long, so it would be good to get different sizes
  • 80 rubber bands
  • 3 giant rubber bands
  • Ribbon
  • Cardboard tube (I used a wrapping paper tube)
  • Wrapping paper, I used white
  • scissors
  • Goodies to put in the cake-Here is what I used
    • Baby shampoo
    • Baby powder
    • Baby body wash
    • Stuffed animals
    • Pacifier
    • Baby bib
    • Baby clothes
    • Pack of wipes
The first part takes the longest, what you'll need to do is wrap all of your diapers a tie them with the rubberbands.  I usually get the white ones, but I thought the green would look nice with the jungle theme of my cake.
Next cut two circles out of cardboard.  This can be measured in different ways, I have heard using a dinner plate for the top layer nad a salad plate for the second tier works, unfortunatly my dinner plates are square, so I ended up using sewing hoops.
In the middle of the circles trace your tube, like I traced the end of the wrapping paper tube.  This way you are sure the tube will fit.
Next, I used my wrapping paper around the layers.  This is actually the top side, it looks a little gross, but it will be covered with diapers and goodies, so it will not be seen.
Put the tube through the holes you cut out, tape the bottom board to the tube.  After, I taped the leaves onto the bottom of the layers, to add to the jungle theme.  You can add any kind of decoration, depending on the theme.  Next, you start to put the diapers on.  A trick I use it to cut a long ribbon and wrap it around the bottom tube, don't tie it, just grip it.  Then, you can easily slide the diapers in, loosening it when you run out of room. 

When you think you have enough, you'll know because it will reach the edge of the board, you can tie the ribbon into a knot.  If it doesn't look great it's fine, the ribbon will cover it.  Now, you'll be able to take out the diapers and replace them with goodies.  Make sure you only do one diaper at a time. 
Now, push down the second tier and add the diapers.  After you finish that one, do the third tier the same.  Since it's such a small tier, I don't bother cutting out a cardboard tier for it.  Once you finish adding the diapers and slipping in your goodies, you're ready to decorate.  I added ribbons and stuffed animals!  I also like to do the fake flowers, big swirly ribbons all over the tiers. 
Front of Diaper Cake
Back of Diaper Cake








No comments:

Post a Comment