Sunday, January 15, 2012

Rainy Day Fun

Here is a great way to pass the time when suddenly you find yourself with a bored kid or two.  I don't remember where I saw this first, but I have been using this to make mother's day gifts since I was in 6th grade, now my daughter does it.  Here is what you will need:
  • Regular glue
  • tissue paper
  • empty glass jar
  • cup of water
  • paint brushes
  • things to decorate the jars with
Normally I stick to a more matching color pallet, but my daughter wanted to use all the paper.


Start by mixing the glue in with the water.  The color of the water you see above is what you want to get to.





Next you simply tear a piece of the tissue paper off, it doesn't matter how big, small, or shape, whatever you want.
Dip the paper in the glue and spread it onto the jar, however you want.



Continue until you cover the entire jar.  Wait to dry, which shouldn't take too long.  Now, you're ready to decorate.  Here are some examples of what we came up with, the jars on the left and right side are ones I made my mother when I was younger.  This website has some great ideas for what you can do with this.  I used a Newman's Pasta Sauca jar, but using a mason jar would be way cool too.

What do you like to do when it's yucky out?  Any tips for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment